Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Canoing on Lake Pend Oreille




About two weeks ago I went for a little canoe on Lake Pend Oreille. The temperature had been up in the high 80's for a couple of days and I was just itching to be out on the water. It was absolutely wonderful. The water was unbelievably calm, and I felt just right with the sun blazing and a cool water breeze. If I got a little too hot all I had to do was dip my foot in the icy water and I was quickly regulated. We put in at Denton Slough and went around the Hope Peninsula to Sam Owen State Park. Near the shore where we put in there were a handful of immature bald eagles, and then mature bald eagle or two flying around. As we paddled away from the shore toward the edge of the peninsula and the lake unfolded before me I was in awe once again. "I live here..." just kept rolling through my mind like I was trying to convince myself that it was true. I have gone canoing my fair share, but never on a lake while surrounded by mountains.

No comments: