Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back to the Woods

I say "back to the woods" like I was not cross-country skiing through them all winter, but there is still something different about hiking about the mountains slowly versus sliding through them on skis. I had to work Memorial Day, and as a result received the following Tuesday off and decided to two things. First I went to the trail that leads to "the Ghost." I do not know the real name of this trail, but that is what we refer to it as at the school. It is a wide trail off of a forest service road, probably an old forest service road itself, that leads to the base of a wide open field on a mountain side that is shaped like a ghost when looking at it from the school. This is the trail that Erik was hiking when Buck and Max went off on their adventure that Buck never returned from. I knew I needed to hike it and say goodbye to my buddy, my best, and first friend I made when I moved to Idaho. I took one of his favorite toys up there; a little, blue sesame street stuffed animal that Buck had chewed the head and several limbs off of and I had lovingly sewed back together several times in order to give Buck his buddy back. I also brought a small spade, and Max. When I got to the trail head I took down the laminated "Lost" flier with Buck's picture on it. We hiked up for maybe a half hour or so when Max took off into the woods after something. The moment felt right as Max ran off for a few moments and I thought about how it was that easy to lose a friend. That moment was all I was waiting for. I set down my backpack and dug a hole for Buck's beloved blue friend. I placed a few rocks over it, and without any tears (!) said goodbye to my buddy. I knew I was ready to let him go.







Max and I decided not to hike the rest of the ghost, but went to the next trail over, "Star Peak" to start a new adventure. The trail up to Star Peak is not an easy one, it is a very strenuous uphill starting from the road. I was sweating before I even made it to the trail head! I went a little less than two house up, and decided I did not need to beat myself and could turn around. There were some gorgeous views of the Clark Fork River, and a plethora of wild flowers. My favorite was probably the wild growing orchids I found, but was unable to get a good picture. I have not yet taken the time to figure out what type of flower this pink beauty is. I think it looks a lot like a trillium, but it is pink! The other great part of this trail was the waterfall that was in full swing given all the warm weather and snow melt off. I sat by it for quite awhile just amazed at the way it flowed through all the rocks and roots of the trees.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Your pictures are so pretty! Did you get a new camera? Do you feel more connect to me now...