Friday, December 14, 2007

Getting Back on the Horse

I made a commitment to get out of my "Buck funk" last weekend. It worked. I had spent quite a few weekends moping around my apartment spending a lot of time on the couch. I knew it needed to end. I knew I needed to bring some new energy into my life. My weekend started out great by going to see "Into the Wild" with my friend Laurah. It was a great film based off of the book by John Krakauer and I highly recommend it. Afterwards, I ran into some friends at Eichardts, and even made a few new ones.

On Friday, I ventured out cross-country skiing at
Schweitzer's and was brutally reminded that there are mountains in Idaho. Cross-country skiing takes on a whole new meaning when one moves from Michigan to Idaho. There are hills on the trail, large ones. Needless to say, I came home with a large, swollen lump on my butt from repeatedly choosing to "sit down" instead of losing complete control. The second time I was sitting on the very hard, icy snow in my thin polypro, I was on the verge of getting mad at the world for my disheartening cross-country skiing experience. I thought of my puppy. He would have given me the "why are you sitting on the ground, we have a lot of exploring to do" head tilt. I would have laughed. So, I smiled, got up off my rump and continued on down the trail. When I elected to sit down once more, I even laughed out loud at the big city girl sitting in the snow in the middle of north Idaho. I also struggled significantly on the uphills, which I attributed to my lack of experience....I later figured out it was because I was using my alpine ski poles. Whoops!

On Friday night, I had dinner with friends and then we all went to hear a coworker belt out a little bluegrass at a local open mic night. On Saturday, I got up early and went and swam laps at the fitness center. It felt sooooo good to get back in the water.
Erik and Kendra picked me up in the afternoon and we spent the day in Couer d' Alene hitting all the hot spots such as Costco, Michaels, and Lowes. Wherever I go, I somehow always find a married couple to adopt me as their single friend to tag along on roadtrips... I picked up a little tree at Lowes and came home and decorated it. Perhaps, in the spring it will find a home in my yard. On Sunday morning, I went out walking to the longbridge was once again awed that I live in such beautiful place. It never ceases to amaze me that this is my home! With music playing in my ears, I started dancing on the sand and knew my heart was alive.



No comments: