Monday, August 27, 2007

Meet Buck



Many of you know I was planning on getting a dog once I moved out here. Well, it didn't take me long. On Thursday I had a "play-date" with Buck and on Friday I took the little rascal home. He is...just great. I do not think I could have described a better dog. He's at home in the backyard alone for the first time right now. I can't stop thinking about him! Do you think he's lonely? I know he is.

He is a bearded collie - terrier mix. He's 10 months old. He was a stray at a "kill-shelter" that no one came to claim. A woman who runs a Second Chance Pet Rescue snapped him before his time and cleaned him up. His coat was mangled with fleas and he could barely see through the mess of hair that covered his eyes. He was rough and wild when she got him, but through the Cesar Millan method she had him behaving within a week!

He rarely tugs on the leash when we walk, and if he does, I lightly tug back and he heels without me saying a word. He has such a desire to please me and be loved. Oh, does he want to be loved. The little guy cannot get enough of it! If I sit on the floor he sprawls into my lap and rolls over so I can rub his belly. He also does not bark, unless I leave him in his crate when I leave the house. He follows me everywhere! I had to set the limit on the shower - but it's good to know it may be easy to get him in there to get cleaned up! I walk him down to the lake to play fetch, or on one of the many bike/pedestrian trails around here. We also took a trip to one of the state parks.

I also took him to the farmer's market on Saturday where I got homemade jam and fresh peaches. He stayed next to me and let everyone pet him without jumping up. He was just happy to be included. I ran into my new boss and new supervisor while I was down there and if he behaves he is allowed on the campus with me - so cross your fingers.

There was so much I was thinking about writing, but now that I'm finally at the internet cafe and writing about Buck, all I want to do is go back home to him! We're going to walk over to the ranger's station when I get home (about a mile from my house) to get some information on hiking in the area - maybe Schweitzer's?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buck has Bentley's tongue!

Anonymous said...

Does Buck like Fireworks?

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin...sounds like you are executing your plan. How's school? Hope to see you soon...maybe I can come up and visit when there is some good music there. Or you know are always welcome down here in Moscow.

Nancy

Erin said...

Buck has not yet been exposed to fireworks - thank goodness. They might scare the sh*t out of him as they did Bently. However, he is amused by Grandma and Grandpa's bird clock...