Sunday, August 12, 2007

a celestial event of cosmic debris

Some people have to remind themselves to stop and smell the roses. I literally stop to smell the roses quite often, sometimes maybe too much. Perhaps a reminder more suiting for me might be to stop to watch the shooting stars. My little cousin was talking about the meteor shower throughout the night as we were eating the best popcorn ever and watching a cute romantic comedy. She and my aunt were going outside to take a look and even though I was thinking how every meteor shower is the same and that I really wanted to go home and start the last Harry Potter book my cousin just gave me, I decided to go take a look, too. We laid down on the deck all snuggled up in blankets and staring up at the sky. I started to think of the other meteor showers I had taken the time to watch in my life. They all seemed to be surrounded by the theme, or idea of slowing down and taking the time to actually live my life, to suck all of the marrow out of it, if you will. It seemed to be a fitting reminder as I am getting ready to embark on the next big journey of my life. I know it will be tempting to rush into my new world to try and make it everything I am expecting, but what if I could just slow down and let it show me everything it has to offer me first?

I've been thinking for days how to write this first entry. I guess it's done now. It wasn't that hard, but I'm still gnawing over how I am going to describe the experience of this past week as I said my goodbyes. There are all these crazy metaphors running through my mind, but it has been hard to give clear, concise words to it. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe a metaphor will just have to do.

No comments: