Saturday, May 8, 2010

Embracing Chaos


Embracing chaos. This has been the theme of the last two weeks. We have a house full of boxes and projects. After about three days of packing, and two of unpacking I had my fill of pizza, pizza rolls, sandwiches, and pre-made food from the deli counter at both grocery stores. I was desperate for a real meal. There is definitely a part of my and Evan's relationship that revolves around cooking. The guy loves to eat and we both love to cook. I prefer recipes, and he shoots from the hip.

On my way home from work on Sunday, I went to Yokes, the "fresh market" here in Sandpoint. I bought a lot of vegetables that were bright and appealing, and salmon, chorizo and spicy Italian sausage from the meat counter. I did not know what my plan was, or how I planned on cooking in my mess of a kitchen still filled with boxes, but I was going to make it happen. I wanted a meal.

Evan was elbow deep in kitchen and bathroom sink drains when I got home. I had a feeling I was on my own. I pulled out the salmon, sifted through some boxes until I found spices, and somehow chopped some garlic with the little counter space I had. I let the fish sit and when to Starbucks to use the internet to post our extra appliances on craigslist.

Believe it or not, I came home and baked my salmon. I also roasted some herbed potatoes, chopped fresh veggies, and made rice. My cooking slowly enticed Evan to come out from under the bathroom sink. I cleared off the end our table and squeezed in two plates and our feast. It was all makeshift, but it was us, eating good food in our new home.

And if you are wondering about the chorizo. It and the Italian sausage went into a great bolognese sauce two days later to share with our friend Jon after assisting Evan with getting the washer and dryer running. It included re-wiring the circuit box during which they both saw white light. I figured I owed him a good meal...

No comments: