Sunday, August 24, 2008

Demolition Derby


The last two weekends the highlight, by far, has been attending events at the Bonner County Fair. I just may be turning into a country girl. Last Friday night Evan and I went out to the rodeo. It was my first rodeo and it definitely kept my attention. Barrel racing, calf roping, bull riding...these folks are crazy. Did you know they tie a rope around the bull's testicles to get it to buck? They give it good pull right before they open the gate.

Friday night we went over to buy our
demolition derby tickets (yes, we got them in advance because they often sell out) and toured all the animals. There was a pig auction going on so we sat in for awhile. When I saw the first pig go for $2.50 I got so excited. I wanted to buy a pig more than anything. I was going to take it down to Woods to get butchered and eat sausage and pork loin for months (I never really thought about how I would get it there...). Evan was quick to tell me that they were being auction off per pound. My dreams were shattered.

Last night was the demolition derby. We met some friends there, and everyone got so into it. The kids had ear plugs in and Evan and Russ were making a racket. I had just as much fun watching the derby as listening to Evan and Russ. We watched a few cars light on fire and start smoking. One was smoking so much it filled up half the arena. Slowly but surely, I am becoming a north Idaho girl.

No comments: