Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Snow on the Mountains

When I was driving home yesterday I saw snow on the mountains. It was so amazing to see. I felt so small, and yet so safe down in the foothills. I really felt connected to the land watching it so evidently change before me.

I have been busy. Two weeks ago I spent a weekend in Moscow with my aunt, Nancy. That is where this picture is from. Wheat fields border her land. The way they spread out for what seems like eternity is very peaceful. Spending time with her is rejuvenating. Buck endlessly played and ran with her new puppy Harry, and Gus the older dog barked and tried his best to join in on the puppy play. Buck slept outside, but was quick to find the door closest to where I was sleeping and made me a happy mom as he slept right next to it. Driving home I saw the most amazing sunset over the hills of the Palouse. It started off mild with pastel purples and pinks and then turned into deep oranges and red against the blackening night sky. Search Google images with 'Palouse' and you will get the idea.

I think most of all, Buck as been keeping me busy. I think everyone should get a dog before they even think about becoming a parent. Yesterday, during our morning walk off campus before breakfast with the students (we had both spent the night in the staff lodging) Buck decided deer were exciting enough not just to look at, but that they needed to be chased as well. He has always stayed by my side walking (even without a leash), so it took me by surprise when he took off, with only a moments hesitation and glance when I called him back to me. I continued on the walk, hoping he would join. He never did. I wanted to be angry, and there was a part of me that wanted to be sad, but I knew there was no point. Work was starting, and if he could chase deer, he could find his way back. I sat down for breakfast, and just as I got my food I heard over the radio that he was running around campus. I went outside, called him a few times, and he came running from the soccer fields. He was one mangy looking dog. Wet, muddy, and full of burrs. I praised him for coming, and with no other timely option, put him in the car.

At the end of the day I was welcomed by the smell of wet dog as I entered my car and was delighted to see that he had shaken his coat dry, spraying little drops of mud all over the place. I started driving home and did not remove my bag from the front seat (which is the cue that he can come up there). He was insistent and crawled up there, and laid himself down on top of my bag. Once again, I wanted to be angry and shove him into the backseat on his blanket, but as I looked at him with burrs all over, his fur all stringy, and those puppy eyes I could only laugh. I am laughing just writing this. I took him home, bathed him (another adventure), and cleaned my car. While I was cleaning the car he was trying to rip burrs out of his leg hair. He either got burrs or a hairball, or both stuck in his throat and proceeded to walk around the house making hacking noises. He then made this horribly loud noise (so loud the person on the phone with me heard it!) and threw up his dinner. He did this about three more times before we retired for the evening.

Believe it or not, I still love my dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A variation of the Buck story was shared this weekend. While visiting with Maureen and Bobby this weekend, we were discussing past vacations. We talked about the red eye flight home from San Diego. Maurren and I hung out in the tiny bathroom on the plane while she had the dry heaves. She didn't like the way the guy next to her smelled...