Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Getting out of my Comfort Zone



What an awesome day! I went skiing with the kids at Schweitzer today and it was amazing. There was a clear, bluebird sky and it was in the 40's all day. Unbelievable. I spent the good part of the day with one of the girls that is a beginner skier. Chuck and Dennison kept asking if I wanted to go up the mountain, but I was just happy as can be working on my turns and practicing the technique I had learned during the lesson. The kids started to say that I needed to go up. I mentioned that I have a lot of anxiety around skiing, and they let it go. I started to think about that one. I work at an emotional growth boarding school. We push the kids to get out of their comfort zone. If I had been a student and said that they would have confronted me and practically insisted that we go up the mountain. I did a few new runs down on Midway and at the last meet-up decided to go for it. I went up to the top of the mountain with Dennison and some of the kids. It was so great. We skied across the ridge and then down the back of the mountain on some long, mellow runs. I loved it. I was so happy that I got out of my comfort zone, because my non-comfort zone was soooo much fun, and not all that uncomfortable. For me, skiing is not about can and cannot, it is more about what my mind will let me do when I let go of fear. After my ski I went on a walk over to the longbridge and it there was a gorgeous sunset reflecting on the mountains. The moon was rising, and I remembered why I love living here. I was in such a good mood from skiing I practically ran to the water today. I was so giddy to get there. It reminded me of Buck. He was definitely walking with me today because he was usually the one to run to the water, I guess I will have to take over for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thing while you were skiing you didn't get in a fight with anyone, fall down, hit your head, pass out and have to go to the hospital...that would have sucked.

Jack